Wednesday 14 November 2012

TOP 5 FOODIE FINDS - NOVEMBER

 

1 – Truckle Cheddar


 

I bought this at the Edinburgh Farmer’s Market on Saturday from Jimmy’s farm. (He also had a very nice sheep’s milk cheese aptly called ‘See Ewe Jimmy’, he he!) This cheese is delicious, strong but not overpowering. Fab with some chutney or chilli jam. They used to serve it on the cheese plate many years ago when I was working as a waitress at the fantastic Ubiquitous Chip in Glasgow but you don’t see it too often. I am going to have to go back to the market this weekend to get some more!

 

 

2 – M & S Seasonal Range

 

Sometimes after a hard day’s work in this cold, dark, winter weather a bit of cheating is a must! M&S have some really good new products in just now. My favourite find so far, Leek and Bacon Mash –AMAZING! Hearty stodge. It’s not just mash, it’s M&S mash, yum!

 

 

3 – Pillars of Hercules Organic Farm Shop and Café

 

This place is a wee bit out the way but if you are passing through the nearby area, Falkland in Fife , it is well worth a bit of a detour. My friend Caz took me here when I was staying with her for the weekend and it is a great find. A lovely eco-friendly, quirky, spot in the courtyside. The timber clad farm shop and café has a range of reasonably priced organic seasonal produce on sale from the farm.  There is a relaxed vibe and it is fun just to browse. On a sunny day there is a lovely decking area to sit outside. The farm also has a ‘pick your own herb’ garden which is a great idea and really good for people like me who don’t have a garden of their own!

 
 
 
4 – Nigellissima

 

Oh Nigella, every cookbook you write gets better and better.  As soon as I bought this I poured a large vino and read it from cover to cover! It has some beautiful Italian recipes, some really easy and simple to make. I am still ploughing through the book but so far one of my favourites is ‘pasta risotto with peas and pancetta ‘. It is made with orzo pasta which is delicious and really easy to cook. You can have yourself an easy quickie risotto in 10 mins with these little pasta nuggets. Loved the TV show too, naughty as ever! Am also SUPER excited to go and see Nigella at her book signing in Glasgow later this month, hope I can get a pic!

 

 

5 -  My Chinese Rice Bowls

I bought these gorgeous rice bowls and spoons when I was in Kuala Lumpur earlier this year. I have finally found a space for them and I just love them. I haven’t used them too much yet as I am scared of them getting broken after getting them half way across the world in one piece! I am going to have friends round to try out some Malaysian dishes I learnt how to cook at a course I took when I was there. You might not be able to get these ones here but look out for bowls like this in oriental shops.  They are so pretty!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment